I'm getting a new car. A Subaru Impreza WRX to be precise.
You see, the motor died in my Kia Rio, and since the warranty expired a few months ago, it isn't worth fixing (estimates ranged from $2500 to $3500). I tried to find someone who wanted it, but no one did, not even for parts (A couple of years ago, Kia was giving Rios away to anyone who bought a real car). So it has been consigned to car-heaven, AKA a salvage yard.
And by new, I mean actually new (2008), not just new-to-me. I pick it up Saturday.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
I'm getting a new car. A Subaru Impreza WRX to be precise.
John went insane today at 5:14 PM
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Netflix has the original Addams Family (1964-1966) TV series available to stream (the "Watch Instantly" feature)
I have only ever seen a few episodes before, so I watched a couple today, and will watch the rest as I can.
I didn't really know how good that show is. I liked the movies, but now that I see the original show, there's really no comparison.
John went insane today at 8:33 PM
Via Qalmlea comes a cool meme. It's pretty much "Name that quote." Here are the rules
Meme rules:So, here are the quotes: (UPDATE: rearranged list and added second quotes to unidentified movies. On Sunday, March 2nd I'll identify any that remain)
- Pick 15 of your favourite movies.
- Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
- Post them here for everyone to guess.
- Fill in the film title once it's guessed.
- NO GOOGLING/using IMDb search functions. Totally cheating, you dirty cheaters.
- - "Am I employing retards? I have nothing against retards in general, I just can't afford to employ them."
- "Most people have some dignity, most people long to leave a mark. If it were just a question of smudges... they wouldn't need the bowling shoe rule."
- Blood and Donuts
- - "Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?"
- "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?"
- - "One shop destroyed. Three heads split like overripe melons. One man wounded and one castrated. All in two hours. Just two hours I left you alone. Two hours."
- "Well, I couldn't leave him in town; he tends to tell to tell the truth. He's an alcoholic, you know."
- They Call Me Trinity
- - "Is there a doctor in the fish?"
- "Why, why, why! Because it's all logic and reason now. Science, progress, laws of hydraulics, laws of social dynamics, laws of this, that, and the other. No place for three-legged cyclops in the South Seas. No place for cucumber trees and oceans of wine. No place for me."
- The Adventures of Baron Münchhausen
- - "I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Hatchet Jack."
- "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
- Jeremiah Johnson
- - "My old man told me, before he left this shitty world, 'never chase buses or women, you'll always be left behind.'"
- "You know, if I had a nickel for every time some piece of shit pointed a gun at me I'd be a rich man."
- Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
- - "Well, he didn't say the word growl. He said 'throat noise'. But I asked him to imitate it and it sounded like a growl to me."
- "You still don't get it, do you, Captain? Your men are obsolete."
- - "Oh, so it's like Halley's Comet - only monsters come out!"
- "You do realize that all I've got is a wooden baseball bat, right?"
- - "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."
- "From now on I see a red sash, I kill the man wearing it. So run you cur. And tell the other curs the law is coming. You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!"
- - "That would take forever. Besides, even if we find them, they'd only capture us, stick us in cages, torture us and finally devour us!"
- "You started spouting poetry. "I love you Sorsha! I worship you Sorsha!" You almost got us killed!"
- "I was depressed, I was confused and I was turning Japanese."
- Sgt. Kabukiman, NYPD
- "You're gonna knock over a bank with a Magic Marker? What are you gonna do, write on 'em?"
- "If she'd 'ave kept goin' down that way she'd 'ave gone straight to that castle."
- "You brought our baby into a knife fight?"
"It was a fair fight. Two of them, two of us..."
- Undercover Blues
- "My own brother a goddamn, shit-sucking vampire! Oh, you wait 'til Mom finds out, buddy."
- The Lost Boys
Some are pretty obvious, some less so.
All of these quotes are copied/pasted from IMDb, (except that I corrected the spelling of "Halley's Comet"). I think some of them are not quite right, but they are at least recognizable.
John went insane today at 12:10 PM
Friday, February 15, 2008
I don't usually post my dreams here. This one, however, was too good to pass up.
Like most of my dreams it was narrative. I had a first person POV (as myself) and also a third person (viewer) POV.
The scene was some kind of amusement park. A new ride had just opened. It was one of those fake rollercoaster rides where you watch a screen and the seat moves with the action to provide a sense of motion. It was called "The Temple of Dagon." Pure fun. Scary entertainment. But no one told Dagon.
Dagon shows up, and panic and chaos ensue. Enter the heroes. Me, Mark (a friend from High School) and two other guys (I'm pretty sure they were people I knew at some point, but I can't remember who they were).
Most of the dream was us fighting our way through the crowd. My alarm went off just as we reached the ride. Dammit. Okay, I guess there isn't much to it, but it was still way cool.
I used to play paper-and-dice RPGs with Mark and some other guys in High School, but I didn't get into Call of Cthulhu until I was in the Navy.
John went insane today at 7:01 PM
Monday, February 04, 2008
Friday, February 01, 2008
I use IE at work. Occasionally I go to my blog to use the links in my sidebar.
Since Jan 1st, IE has not displayed my front page properly (It displayed fine on Firefox). Others have commented on this, too. Now that it's Feb 1st, the front page displays properly.
John went insane today at 1:57 PM