Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Babylon 5

I recently finished watching the first two seasons of Babylon 5.

I almost didn't rent the second season. The first was pretty good, but not great.

It would have been a mistake. The second season was really, really good. It could have been better. I don't understand why psychic powers are acceptable to popular science fiction, but I can tolerate it if the story is good. I wish B5 had avoided the mystical prophecy crap, though.

The first season mentioned the Mimbari prophecy, and hinted at the return of the Shadows (an extra ancient race). The Narn apparently have a similar prophecy.

That's all well and good. The Mimbari prophecy could just be a warning about the Shadow that got mysticized over the millenia. But it isn't (The Narn 'holy book' still could be). It becomes clear that it is an actual prophecy, and that Captain Sheridan and Ambassador Delen (formerly Setai Delen) are the Chosen Ones.

Okay, yes. I liked Buffy and Angel. But I like my fantasy and my science fiction separate. I hated the 'magic cum science' in the sixth season of Buffy, too.

Anyway, I'll be taking B5 season by season. It's good, but if the woo-woo (as James Randi callls it) gets to be too much, I'll drop it.


Later,

0 people have spouted off: