Saturday, October 21, 2006

"The Prestige"

I saw the movie "The Prestige" today. It was okay. It was directed by Chistopher Nolan ("Batman Begins") and Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale starred. Michael Caine played a supporting role. And Scarlett Johansson, never forget Scarlett Johansson. The acting was really good. The drama was gripping and tense. There wasn't really much action, but the movie was still never boring. The plot was excellent. I really hate movies where huge, fancy effects attempt to make up for a crappy plot (or a total lack of one).

I had one real problem with this movie.

In a movie about stage magicians, where everything is done with illusion and misdirection, the trick at the end is real. Why?

The thing I liked best about the movie was the rival magicians' obsession with figuring out the other's tricks. Throwing in real magic at the end was extremely disappointing.

Later,

2 people have spouted off:

phil said...

sounds cool.

I'll probably wait for it on dvd.

John said...
Yeah, It was pretty cool, but I think I'd wait for the DVD if I were you..
10/22/06, 7:24 PM